Saturday, April 28, 2012

Hummers are back...

Last week, I heard a hummingbird.  I didn't see it, though.  I just heard it.



Yesterday, when I got home from work, Kirstin told me that she and Julie actually saw a hummingbird.  (Guess it's time to get out my hummingbird feeder.)   The tiny bird was going to the honeysuckle I had planted for it.  And they said it stayed around for quite awhile.  I planted this vine so we could see its blooms (and therefore the hummingbirds) from the window above the kitchen sink.  It currently sprawls across the deck, but I'm going to make a trellis sort of thing in the deck rails so it can climb up some more.



This is a native honeysuckle.   It's not the imported, invasive kind.  I bought it from Mail Order Natives a couple of years ago.  I've got another one on the other end of the deck, but life has been decidedly harder for it (including me almost pulling it completely out of the ground when I was weeding), so it's not doing as well as this one.  Anyhow, I'm thrilled that the hummingbird found the honeysuckle I planted for it.



Have a beautiful day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw our first hummer in my garden a couple of weeks ago, but then it got cold again and I haven't seen one since. The temps are climbing again, so hopefully they will be back for the summer soon!

Anne :)