Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Garlic chives...

Something else white is blooming these days, in addition to the Sweet Autumn Clematis: my Garlic Chives (Allium tuberosum). I think it is pretty cool: Chives bloom in the Spring and Garlic Chives bloom in the Fall.





Similarly to the Chives, the Garlic Chives form clumps that can be divided and moved around. I plan to do just that later this Fall. I'm going to spread some around in the garden beds on either side of the path to the back door.



The Garlic Chives have narrow, strappy, flat leaves and white flowers; the Chives (Allium schoenoprasum) have round, hollow leaves and rosy-purple flowers. (Can you tell that it rained a little this afternoon?)




After they have finished blooming, they will make seed pods filled with black seeds, which are very showy. I've used the seed pods with the black seeds in flower arrangements.



They do reseed fairly readily, but not obnoxiously so. And yes, like Chives, you can chop these up and put them on your baked potato. With lots of butter. And sour cream.


Have a beautiful day!

1 comment:

Helen Lewis said...

Garlic chives is a permanent fixture in my kitchen garden. I put it in soups and noodles.