Friday, September 10, 2010

My front porch...

I am fairly well pleased with my front porch right now. Even though I have had to make some changes in the pots this summer, the plants have finally filled out some.



The Impatiens have slowed down in their blooming; I think because it has been so hot.



Red is not my first choice for my main plantings, but it was too hot for the plants I had originally planted in the pots for the summer. So, I put in the Salvia coccinea because I had them already and I thought they would do better.



Don't get me wrong. I do like Salvia coccinea very much! It's a great plant and it helps draw the hummers to my garden. It puts up with a lot and it reseeds freely, so I should have more next year.



I initially had Black-eyed Susan vines in the pots, also, but it was too hot for them as well. When I transplanted them out, I transplanted in Cypress Vines. I just love how they look and plan to use them again next year.



I absolutely adore my "new" blue shutters! A few months ago, my very sweet brother came to visit for a couple of days and took down the red shutters, washed them, and then we started painting them blue. I am still working on finishing up the project, but I have gotten a few of them back up. Having them blue makes such a lovely difference for me; I can't even begin to tell you how much!


Have a beautiful day!

3 comments:

serial tiller said...

I love cypress vine and salvia too for their faithfulness. My pots seemed to give up the ghost early this year and I have had to replace some of them mid summer too. I also love sweet potato vines and million bells for their persistence through tough weather.

Pam's English Garden said...

Dear Ruth, Your front porch looks most inviting! My black-eyed Susan vine did not do well this year. I hadn't thought of the heat ... thank you.

I am so glad you got your wish for blue shutters! Pam x

Ruth said...

Hi, Jennifer. I plan to used million bells in those pots next year! :)

Pam - Thanks so much for stopping by! :) My black-eyed Susan vines are now blooming in partial shade, so do get to enjoy them after all. I am so glad I got my blue shutters, too! :)