Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Black-eyed Susan Vine...

This is the first time I have tried growing Black-eyed Susan Vines (Thunbergia alata).



I started them several months ago from seed with the thought of growing them on the tuteurs in the containers on either side of the front porch. But after planting them there, I realized it was way too hot for the vines, as they began to wilt and die. I shaded them to try to help them survive.



Finally I decided to transplant them somewhere else to give them half a chance of living. I stuck them in the ground under the rose arbor and they have been happy there.



Yesterday, I discovered the first bloom: a white one with an intensely dark purple eye, which is actually a funnel, similar to a Morning Glory. I plan to grow them again next year since they are very charming. And I have found a place they like to grow.


Have a beautiful day!

No comments: