Sunday, April 11, 2010

Rhododendron prinophyllum...

So, something else charming is happening in our enchanting woods, in addition to the Flowering Dogwoods. Here is another fairy flower, floating in the air. They are easy to miss because they somehow seems to disappear unless you are looking directly at them.




These are a couple of native rhododendron shrubs: Rhododendron prinophyllum, also called Roseshell Azalea. What a wonderful thing it was to discover them after we moved here. Now, I look for them each spring. They actually technically aren't on our property; each shrub is on a different neighbor's land, but since no one else goes out to enjoy these woods, I pretend that both the shrubs are mine.




I would like to figure out how to propagate them so I could truly have these natives in my forest. They are so dainty and delicate. And they are fragrant, which only adds to their ethereal beauty.


Have a beautiful day!

3 comments:

serial tiller said...

I read your email about now being able to leave comments on my posts. I will check and see if I have anything blocked. Glad you stop by my blog too! I foolishly tried to relocate one of those native azaleas years ago...of course it died. I have done some silly stuff in years past but that is what "grows" us as a gardener. I have always thought they were so delicate and beautiful

Anonymous said...

These are gorgeous. I had never seen them before.

-M

Rihane said...

What a peaceful wood for the soul you must have.
Very nice flowers, think I prefer these from others azaleas and I like azaleas.