Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Swallow Falls State Park...

Another VERY cool place we visited while in Maryland was Swallow Falls State Park. The hiking trail we followed begins at one falls and ends at another falls. It is a loop from the parking lot so you have the option at starting at whichever falls you want. We started at Muddy Creek Falls.



The trail comes to the top of the falls first and then there are wooden stairs to take down along the side of the falls to the river bed.



The scenery down there is absolutely amazing. The rock formations are fascinating. And some of them are almost scary.



I like this teeny tiny ferny stuff growing on the side of the rock. It reminded me of something similar I saw at Stone Mountain.



There were mushrooms growing all the way up this tree!



We saw lots and lots of ferns. I love the way they grow at the base of trees.



Many, many trees and many, many rocks. The Youghiogheny River is flowing to the left, although not visible in this picture. And don't ask me to pronounce that name! I just know that it is gorgeous!




Fungus on a tree.



I thought this rock was interesting. And I like the moss growing on it, too.


There are so many trees along the banks of the Youghiogheny River. I LOVE this place!


Have a beautiful day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely place!! That definitely looks like a delightful visit! :)

~ K ~

Unknown said...

Beautiful1 Thanks for sharing your trip. I love to see where you have been. vls

Pam's English Garden said...

Dear Ruth, Thank you for taking us on a virtual tour of this lovely park! Love the waterfall picture. Pam x