Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Dodder...

I have a very long list of plants that I would love to grow. And then there are many, many other plants that I like. But this is NOT one of them.




When I was growing up in Southern California, sometimes we would see Dodder growing on bushes in the mountains when we were hiking. Only we called it Angel's Hair or Devil's Hair. Also, it was whispered that it was poisonous if you touched it.




Well, it's not poisonous to touch, but it is a serious pest. It is a parasite, sucking nutrients from the host plant it twines around. It produces lots of seeds, which can remain viable for decades. And it will spread and spread and spread.



If you look closely, or click on the picture above, you can see the seedlings growing up to twine around this plant (which happens to be another weed. How ironic) So, needless to say, Dodder is one plant that I am yanking out of my garden.


Have a beautiful day!

No comments: