Sunday, June 27, 2010

Queen Anne's Lace...

O.K., so it is just way too hot today. I think it got up to almost 100 degrees today, but thankfully tomorrow is supposed to be about 10 degrees cooler. That will be wonderful. I realized that I am having the same problem now that I had during Winter: I want to work in my garden, but the temperature is keeping me indoors.




About the only thing out there that isn't wilting is the wild Queen Anne's Lace (Daucus carota). It looks so cool and frothy. Somehow it seemed like an antidote to the heat of the day. This clump grows in the ditch behind my mailbox. But there is also a little bit beside the mailbox, which is very charming.



Years ago when I was researching what plants to grow to attract beneficial insects, Queen Anne's Lace was always on the lists, but it wasn't something that I could grow in my garden. And now here it grows wild in the ditches and the fields. Isn't it pretty?



None of the houses in the pictures are mine. My house is down the driveway behind me as I took the pictures, in case you were wondering. But it does look like a quaint country road I live of off, doesn't it?



You can see pictures of my chickens eating watermelon on my Chickie Update. It was so hot today that I gave them some to help cool them down. They love watermelon and they are so cute eating it.


Have a beautiful day and stay cool!

No comments: