Monday, June 28, 2010

Spider Flowers and Morning Glories...

Over the West end of my deck, I have a jungle of Tomatillos, Spider Flowers, and Morning Glories. I did want Tomatillos, Spider Flowers, and Morning Glories. However, they reseeded in profusion and I ended up with just a few more than I wanted.



But that's o.k., because they are relatively easy to weed out. I just need time. Well, I guess that's not quite so easy then, is it?



There are supposed to only be 3 or 4 Morning Glory vines (Ipomoea purpurea 'Grandpa Otts') at the corner of the deck for the kitties to lie in the shade of and so we can enjoy the beauty of the Morning Glories in the morning. But they keep getting out of hand. Big surprise, huh. After all, these are Morning Glories I'm talking about here.




The Spider Flowers (Cleome hasslerana) are for the hummingbirds. I bought dwarf Spider Flower plants several years ago and they have reseeded themselves, getting taller each year as they revert back to their original, tall selves. While I was taking these pictures this morning, a hummingbird showed up and looked at me for a moment. I love those little creatures! But then he flew off before I could get a picture of him.



This flower bed is supposed to be a hummingbird garden. I think it has turned out to be a Tomatillo garden with a few hummingbird plants tossed in! Oh, well. At least the hummingbirds do come and I will get it to what I want it to be ... eventually. And in the mean time, I can enjoy the beauty of my jungle.


Have a beautiful day!

2 comments:

lostlandscape (James) said...

I haven't planted cleomes in ages. Looks like I should find some space for them--I think they're really cool plants, especially massed. (I encountered acres and acres of them next to a farmer's field in Arizona. An amazing sight.)

Ruth said...

Wow! Acres and acres of cleomes! That must have been something to see! I do like them massed. Thanks for stopping by. :)