Monday, January 18, 2010

Tête-à-tête daffodils...

Sometimes I am not a very good plant mommy. O.K. Often I am not a very good plant mommy. Take, for example, the case of the Tête-à-tête daffodils. Several years ago, I saw them in bloom in a store and they were such cute little things that I had to bring them home. I figured they were a good investment because I knew they would return from year to year. I actually got them put in the ground and for a couple of years they bloomed.




Then last year, after they bloomed, I decided I was going to revamp a part of the garden bed they were in. So, I took them out along with a bunch of grape hyacinths, and lay them on the ground under the shade of the oak tree, planning to replant them once I had the other plants in place. Well…

When my sister came to visit, she asked me if they would be o.k. just left on the ground. I blithely informed her that they indeed would be o.k. there, but that I would shortly be replanting them. Ha!

Summer wore on. Fall came and covered them with leaves. Of course, the muscari just made themselves right at home. But the daffodils?




The other day, as I started to see other daffodil shoots poking up, I got curious about my poor Tête-à-tête daffodils. So I pulled back the leaves…. And what do you know! They sure are tough little guys.




I thought I should help them out a little by actually putting them in soil. I really am going to get them put back in their bed. Really. I am.




Oh, and yesterday, I saw some more Tête-à-tête daffodils in a pot in a shop. These weren’t blooming yet, but I know they will. And I know how charming they are, so, the story starts once again. (What? You wouldn’t risk putting a dirty plant on your tablecloth?)


Have a beautiful day!

No comments: