Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Coleus...

Earlier this year, much earlier this year, I grew coleus from seed. I hadn’t done that before and I thought it would be fun to try. Now, if I had planted just one seed, it wouldn’t have sprouted, so I planted the WHOLE seed pack. Do you know how small a coleus seed is? Do you know how many coleus seeds are in a seed pack? Well, let me tell you…



Anyhow, of course the seedlings were way too cute to thin out. I transplanted quite a few of them to make a couple of terrariums for a centerpiece and that was interesting for awhile.




Eventually, they all got put outside in one way or another. Some went into the pots on the front porch (if you can call it a porch), others went into a pot on the deck, some went into K’s shady garden and many of the green and white ones went into J’s white garden. And a number just got left in six packs.



Most of the plants were just typical shade coleus (I’m not a big fan of the sun coleus; somehow it just doesn’t seem right to grow coleus in the sun). But there was one plant that had the most gorgeous markings. It was the only one like it out of all the coleus seedlings and I didn’t want to loose it. I took cuttings of it before it frosted and now it is growing on my kitchen window sill. I hope to keep propagating it through the winter and grow enough of it to make a semi-mass planting of it. In the mean time, isn’t it beautiful in my kitchen?



Have a beautiful day!

No comments: