Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Naturalizing Bulbs...

The Altadena Library is located on a tree lined street and surrounded with naturalistic plantings, so it seems a fitting place to discover a delightful gardening book. That is where I found Rob Proctor’s "Naturalizing Bulbs."




First of all, I love the concept of naturalizing bulbs; tucking them in the ground and letting them live from year to year, multiplying themselves and spreading out, or some being transplanted to form new colonies. Then Rob Proctor’s writing style and book layout is enjoyable to read in addition to being packed full of information. This is not a cut and dried, “Just the facts, ma’am,” kinda book. It is conversational and friendly. You feel like you are sitting down to tea with a friend and chatting about bulbs. And the pictures are lovely.





The Altadena Library’s copy of "Naturalizing Bulbs" seemed to live at my house more than it did at the library, so I finally decided, to be fair to others who might want to naturalize bulbs, that I should get my own copy. I bought it used but I think it is funny that my own copy is a former library edition from some other county library. I can’t believe that no one in Heenepin County (where is that, anyway?) wanted to check out this beautiful book.


Have a beautiful day!

No comments: