Friday, December 25, 2009

Red...


Earlier this week, my neighbor brought me a poinsettia. The timing was perfect, because once winter arrives, I crave red. The rest of the year, I don’t really care much for red flowers. Well, except for the ones for my hummingbirds. Yes, I know. The poinsettias don’t have red flowers; the red is actually the bracts and the flowers are inconspicuous and yellow. But that doesn’t matter. It is still red and adds additional warmth and cheer to my dining room.




Even when I lived in California, I wanted red in the winter. But here, it seems to be a necessity, not just a desire. It gives such a glow of warmth and comfort when everything is cold and grey. So, between my Johnnies, and bits of red here and there, maybe I’ll make it until spring.




I was a sucker. The plant had reddish leaves and red berries. It sat there and called to me. How could I ignore it? I didn’t know what it was, didn’t know its requirements, and didn’t know where I would plant it. But did that stop me? No. It had to come home with me. I decided it would look charming in a pot, which is a really good thing because, when I looked it up in my Southern Living Garden Book, I found that it cannot tolerate clay. Guess what my “soil” is. Clay. It will look so nice in the seating area under the laurel oak. What, you ask? Do I have a seating area? No. But someday I will. And my little Gaultheria procumbens ‘Red Baron’ will add nicely to the ambiance.


Have a beautiful day!

No comments: