Monday, March 1, 2010

Columbine & crocus...

So, today I wandered outside to see what might be happening in my garden that I could blog about. One of the first things I noticed was that the air was different, almost as if it knows that things are going to change soon. And the plants - it seems as if they are crouching, waiting to jump out and yell, "Surprise!" I found that my columbine plants are putting out gorgeous new purple leaves. I love columbines. These were brought to me by my mom several years ago.




But the most exciting thing I discovered was a yellow crocus about to bloom. I guess I hadn't looked where it grows in a while, because I had no idea it was this close to flowering. I'll go look again tomorrow and see if it is open. You can expect a picture in the next day or two - if the possible snow forecast for tomorrow doesn't harm the blossoms.


Have a beautiful day!

3 comments:

serial tiller said...

I am right where you are with these two plants! I have a purple crocus just waiting to pop open and my native columbines are looking rather fresh. The anticipation is so great this time of year isn't it?

Rihane said...

I trust that my eyes not make a mistake about these leaves.
Me too I love them. Have one that grow huge last summer. And some small seeds in a potout in the cold.
Crocus is so beatiful when they shine in the spring

Anonymous said...

I am excited to see your crocus buds, but even more excited about your columbines. I love the way the new growth forms rosettes. I haven't had much luck getting columbines to grow here....I will be happy to see even one scrawny new plant this spring, as they have really petered out since I brought them from our last house 8 years ago. So I am living vicariously through you, as far as columbines go! :-) --jw